Open Saturdays & Sundays 10am - 3 pm
Beetopia & NZ Honey Tasting Shed strives to increase knowledge surrounding New Zealand's unique Ngāro huruhuru native bees, our Carniolan and Italian honey bees plus of course our selection of NZ honey varietals.
Aotearoa's endemic flora abundance produces so many diverse and beneficial honey types, all of which have amazing flavors and health properties, yet not much is known about them.
Beetopia offers visitors the opportunity to learn about pollinators and to see various types of bees (native, honeybees, bumblebees, leafcutters) in their natural habitat while also providing an insight into the life cycles of each pollinator and how they interact with their surroundings.
During your delicious Honey Tasting experiences, the honey aspects of 'terroir ' which relate to the soil, climate, region and plants are explained before savouring: Rewarewa, Pōhutukawa, Kānuka, Tāmahi, Clover, Multiflora, Tāwari. Honeydew, Mānuka, Lavender and Thyme to mention just a few.
about our NZ Native Bees
● There are only 27 species of these cute native bees left in NZ
● The are really really tiny and usually black
● They are solitary and fly really fast
● Some native bees blow bubbles to evaporate nectar
● They have short tongues (compared to honeybees)
● Some have funny fluffy faces
● They are often mistaken for flies